Manuel Turizo Rises to No. 1 on Billboard’s Latin Airplay Chart with “La Bachata”

Manuel Turizo has danced his way to the top of another chart…

The 22-year-old Colombian singer has secured his fifth No. 1 on Billboard’s Latin Airplay chart as “La Bachata” advances from No. 4 to lead the October 29-dated ranking.

Manuel TurizoThe track concurrently notches a sixth week at No. 1 on Tropical Airplay.

“La Bachata,” released on La Industria/Sony Music Latin, tallied 10.7 million in audience impressions, up 29%, earned in the U.S. in the October 17-23 tracking week, according to Luminate.

The song, written by Turizo, Edgar Barrera, Andrés Jael Correa, Juan Diego Medina and Miguel Andrés Martinez, is the first single from Turizo’s forthcoming album 2000 (release date TBD).

The new leader is the fifth champ for Turizo among 24 Latin Airplay chart entries.

Turizo’s first No. 1, “Vaina Loca” with Ozuna, dominated for two weeks in 2018.

“La Bachata” is also Turizo’s second chart-topper as a soloist, unaccompanied by any other act.

Here’s a look at his chart-topping singles:

Peak Date, Title, Artist (if other than Turizo)
Oct. 6, 2018, “Vaina Loca,” with Ozuna
March 9, 2019, “Sola”
July 4, 2020, “TBT,” with Sebastian Yatra & Rauw Alejandro
Jan. 23, 2021, “La Nota,” with Manuel Turizo & Myke Towers
Oct. 29, 2022, “La Bachata”

Elsewhere, the Latin Airplay coronation helps “La Bachata” improve its standing on the multimetric Hot Latin Songs chart. There, the song lifts 8-6, the closest to the top Turizo has ranked since the No. 5 high of “La Nota” in 2021. Plus, “La Bachata” gain 1% in streams, to 5.1 million, while it dips 5% in downloads sold, earned in the week ending October 20.

Further, “La Bachata” holds at No. 1 for a sixth consecutive week on Tropical Airplay (and counting), five weeks after it ascended to the summit. It becomes the third-longest-leading title in 2022, trailing Romeo Santos’ “Sus Huellas” which ruled for 10 weeks and Don Omar and Nio Garciá’s 8-week ruler, “Se Mena.”

Rosalia Added to Headliners Roster for Los Angeles’ Calibash

Rosalia is Bash-ful

The 30-year-old Spanish singer/songwriter has been confirmed as a headliner for the annual Calibash, taking place January 21 and 22 at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles.

RosaliaIn a display of women’s increasing clout in the Latin urban landscape, Rosalia will be joined by Karol G as a headlining act.

They join a previously billed group of headliners that also includes OzunaMyke Towers and Farruko.

The Latin urban megafest, widely known as the pioneer and still the most storied in a crowded Latin urban festival landscape, will also feature performances by Ivy Queen and Becky G, as well as Jhayco, Nío García, Zion & Lennox, Blessd, Sech and Feid.

Rosalía and Karol G will both perform one-offs, as their U.S. tours will have concluded by January. Tickets are already on sale.

All told, seven artists will perform per night at Calibash, a departure from the fest’s early years of dozens of acts on the bill, and also a departure from more crowded rosters. It’s part of an effort to more carefully curate Calibash, says Alessandra Alarcón, president of SBS Entertainment, which created and promotes the show.

Alarcón says that when she took over Calibash, “I thought the audience would be OK with there being less acts but more quality sets. I thought if we could edit this down and give the headliners half hour, 45 minutes, I think people would be stoked to see that. And I’m happy to say I was right.”

Last year, Calibash sold out three nights at Crypto.com Arena, even though the shows took place in the midst of a COVID-19 surge.

Calibash was the first Latin music festival devoted to urban music that not only took place consistently every year and always on the West Coast, but also became known for its performances — planned and unplanned — by mainstream artists like French Montana, Cardi B and memorably in 2016, Justin Bieber, in addition to a slew of other stars.

Both Calibash performances will kick-off with a pre-show fan festival that celebrates Latin music and culture at L.A. Live with surprise performances, experiences and more.

Calibash is owned and operated by SBS Entertainment’s parent company, Spanish Broadcasting System, which owns and operates some of Latin music’s top radio stations in the country, including Los Angeles’ KXOL-FM La Mega 96.3, the event’s official station.

Banda MS’s Corrido “141” to Become First Regional Song Featured in “Call of Duty” Video Game Series

Banda MS is making history while getting in the game…

The Mexican banda’s new corrido “141” will become the first Regional Mexican song to appear in a Call of Duty video game series.

Banda-MSThe track is set to be integrated into Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, with “several” versions of the song heard throughout different parts of the game.

“141” is inspired by the members of the Task Force 141 and soldier Alejandro Vargas from the Mexican Special Forces, and ties in with the narrative of the newest installment of the first-person shooter game.

While Call of Duty has collaborated with Latin musicians in the past, most recently Ozuna, it’s the first time the video game franchise — developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision — taps a Regional Mexican act to collaborate on a new song for one of its series.

“It’s a huge step for the game and the community,” says Rodrigo Pérez, Call of Duty‘s senior franchise manager, Latin America. “We wanted to tell the story of Task Force 141 in a unique way, and we believe the song goes to the very essence of the characters and the story we are telling with Modern Warfare II.”

For the chart-topping supergroup, not only does “141” mark the first corrido they’ve released in 10 years, but it becomes an opportunity to showcase their traditional banda music on a global level, while also bringing in a new source of revenue.

“The franchise’s team in Latin America is mainly composed of Mexicans who love and respect our culture so, along with their team, we made sure that the song made sense for the game,” says Oswaldo Silvas, one of Banda MS’ vocalists. “We’re really proud to be part of the game’s DNA, and we would be honored to keep doing more of these collaborations because all eyes are on video games and for us, it’s a great opportunity to capture a new audience.”

The opportunity is for both sides with Call of Duty also strategically tapping and catering to the Hispanic market across Latin America. “Mexico and the Hispanic market have had a very strong passion towards the Call of Duty franchise for a long time, and with Modern Warfare II we had an amazing opportunity to celebrate the rich cultural legacy,” adds Pérez.

For a Mexican music song to be featured on Call of Duty, it only reinforces the genre’s newfound popularity across the U.S. and beyond. Once a niche genre, regional Mexican has gained an international following in recent years thanks to artists such as Banda MS, who have stayed true to their traditional Sinaloan banda roots but has also embraced the fusion of regional with genres from around the world.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II will become available for purchase on October 28 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X | S, PC and Xbox One.

Shakira Releases Heartbreaking Video for New Bachata Single “Monotonía,” Featuring Ozuna

Shakira is addressing her recent heartbreak…

The 45-year-old Colombian superstar has joined voices with Ozuna for the new Spanish single “Monotonía,” a bachata track released on Wednesday, October 19.

Shakira, MonotoniaShakira starts off declaring: “It wasn’t your fault, it wasn’t my fault. It was monotony’s fault. I never said anything but it hurt. I knew this would happen.”

 

Marking the first collaboration between Shakira and Ozuna, “Monotonía” follows the singer-songwriter’s Latin Airplay chart-topping song “Te Felicito” with Rauw Alejandro, where she calls out her significant other and congratulates them on a stellar performance making her believe he truly loved her.

 

In the music video — which Shakira co-directed with longtime collaborator Jaume de la Iguana — she has an encounter with the ex at a grocery store where he blows up her chest and her heart is ejected from her body. She then runs around with her beating heart in hand until she hands it over to Ozuna, who takes it from her and puts it in a safe box.

 

“Monotonía” and “Te Felicito” follow Shakira’s public breakup from longtime partner, and the father of her two children, soccer star Gerard Piqué.

In an interview with Elle, she addressed the split, calling this moment one of the “most difficult” of her life.

“I’ve remained quiet and just tried to process it all. Um, and yeah, it’s hard to talk about it, especially because I’m still going through it, and because I’m in the public eye and because our separation is not like a regular separation. And so it’s been tough not only for me, but also for my kids. Incredibly difficult.”

Ozuna Becomes New Owner of Puerto Rican Basketball Team Los Osos de Manatí, Previously Known as Los Brujos de Guayama

Ozuna is getting in the game…

The 30-year-old Puerto Rican singer and rapper is officially the new owner of a basketball team in Puerto Rico, the Baloncesto Nacional Superior de Puerto Rico has announced.

Ozuna

The sports organization revealed that the chart-topping artist has acquired Los Brujos de Guayama. Due to the franchise’s transfer to the municipality of Manatí, the team has been renamed to Los Osos de Manatí (Manatí Bears). With Juan Aubín Cruz Coliseum as their home venue, Los Osos de Manatí become the first BSN team in that municipality since 2017.

Ricardo Dalmau, president of the BSN, added: “It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome Ozuna to the BSN family. The commitment shown throughout this entire process gives us confidence in what his management will be in charge of the new Osos de Manatí. I take this opportunity to thank Rafael Rodríguez for his commitment to the league and the Brujos de Guayama franchise, which he led for the last 10 years.”

Ozuna joins a growing number of Latin artists that have ventured into the sports world by purchasing basketball teams in Puerto Rico. The list includes moves from Bad Bunny, who became the co-owner of Los Cangrejeros de Santurce and Anuel AA, who purchased Capitanes de Arecibo along with his manager Frabian Eli, in 2021.

Instead of flocking to basketball like their fellow hitmakers, duo Wisin & Yandel is placing all bets on baseball as new co-owners of Criollos de Caguas, the latest champions of the Liga de Béisbol Profesional Roberto Clemente (LBPRC).

Shakira Teams Up with Ozuna for New Single “Monotonía”

Shakira isn’t afraid of monotony

The 45-year-old Colombian singer has joined voices with Ozuna for the new song “Monotonía.”

The track will be released on October 19, Shakira revealed via her official social media accounts, where she posted a brief sound clip and an image of the song title atop a heart being stabbed with a dagger.

“Un pequeño rey con una súper reina,” Ozuna commented on Shakira’s Instagram post Sunday afternoon.

Earlier this week, Shakira — who confirmed her split with Spanish soccer player Gerard Piqué a few months ago, and said recently that she was going through “the most difficult, darkest hours of my life” — had teased new lyrics on Instagram: “No fue culpa tuya/ Ni tampoco mía/ Fue culpa de la monotonía.”

“Monotonía” will be Shakira’s follow-up to “Te Felicito” with Rauw Alejandro, which topped the Billboard Latin Airplay chart and also reached No. 1 on the Billboard Argentina Hot 100 chart. It peaked at No. 10 on the Hot Latin Songs chart.

Bad Bunny Earns 19th No. 1 on Billboard’s Latin Airplay Chart with “Titi Me Preguntó”

There’s no questioning Bad Bunny’s popularity… 

The 28-year-old Puerto Rican superstar has notched his 19th No. 1 on Billboard’s Latin Airplay chart as “Titi Me Preguntó” climbs 7-1 on the September 24-dated ranking.

Bad BunnyIt’s the third track from Bad Bunny’s historic, chart-topping album Un Verano Sin Ti to lead the all-genre tally.

“Titi Me Preguntó” tops Latin Airplay just a month after “Me Porto Bonito,” with Chencho Corleone, ruled for one week (August 20-dated ranking).

Un Verano Sin Ti’s second single, “Moscow Mule,” earned the set its first champ (list dated July 30).

“Titi Me Preguntó” visits the summit for the first time after a 25% boost in audience impressions — to 9 million — earned in the U.S. in the week ending September 18, according to Luminate.

It sends Romeo Santos and Justin Timberlake’s “Sin Fin” to No. 3 after its debut at No. 1 the week prior.

His 19th No. 1 breaks Bad Bunny from a tie with Ricky Martin for the eighth-most champs among all acts since Latin Airplay launched in 1994.

Here’s a look at the scoreboard:

35, J Balvin
32, Enrique Iglesias
28, Ozuna
27, Daddy Yankee
22, Wisin
21, Maluma
20, Romeo Santos
19, Bad Bunny
18, Ricky Martin

Further, “Titi Me Preguntó” reaches No. 1 on Latin Airplay in its fifth week. Notably, the only song out of his 19 hits to match “Me Porto Bonito’s” equal trek to the penthouse. Previously, “Qué Pretendes,” with J Balvin, reached the top in its sixth week (August 10, 2019).

In addition to its Latin Airplay coronation, “Titi Me Preguntó” advances 3-1 on Latin Rhythm Airplay, Bad Bunny’s also 19th champ there. With the move, he matches Wisin as a solo act and Wisin & Yandel for the fourth-most No. 1s, behind Daddy Yankee and J Balvin’s 34 leaders and Ozuna’s 27.

Elsewhere, “Titi Me Preguntó” holds strong at No. 13 for a third nonconsecutive week on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100 chart after its No. 5 debut and peak in May. Plus, it’s one of two titles still ranking in the list’s top 20 among the nine tracks from his No. 1 LP, Un Verano Sin Ti, currently on the chart.

J Balvin Reclaims Crown as Artist with Most Videos in YouTube’s Billion Views Club

J Balvin is YouTube’s ’s Billion baller…

The 37-year-old Colombian singer’s “Ritmo (Bad Boys for Life)” music video in collaboration with Black Eyed Peas has surpassed 1 billion views, officially making him the artist with the most videos in YouTube’s Billion Views Club once again, according to the video platform.

J Balvin“Ritmo,” which was released on October 11, 2019, on YouTube, marks Balvin’s 12th entry as a lead, featured artist or collaborator. Prior to reclaiming the crown this week, Balvin was tied with Justin Bieber with 11 music videos each with a billion views.

In 2016, he became the first Latin urban artist to reach 10 digits with a video on the platform with “Ay Vamos.” He was only the third Latin artist to reach a billion views, following Enrique Iglesias’ “Bailando,” featuring Gente de Zona and Descemer Bueno, and Romeo Santos’ “Propuesta Indecente,” both in 2014.

Balvin also has one of the top five fastest videos to reach the billion-view mark with “Mi Gente,” surpassing the number in 103 days.

“Ritmo (Bad Boys for Life)” samples Corona’s ’90s hit “Rhythm of the Night,” fusing hip-hop and pop with Balvin’s incendiary and infectious take on reggaeton.

The track topped the Billboard Hot Dance/Electronic Songs and Hot Latin Songs

charts in 2020, becoming the Peas’ first leader on each ranking and Balvin’s first on the dance chart.

The video, which shows scenes from the Bad Boys for Life movie, now joins the Willy William-assisted “Mi Gente”; “X (Equis)” with Nicky Jam; “Con Altura” with Rosalia; “China” alongside Anuel AA, Daddy Yankee, Karol G, and Ozuna; “No Me Conoce (Remix)” with Jhayco and Bad Bunny; “Ay Vamos”; “I Like It” with Cardi B and Bad Bunny; “Ahora Dice” with Chris Jedi, Ozuna, and Arcangel; the Farruko-assisted “6AM”; and “Safari” featuring Pharrell Williams, BIA, and Sky in the billion-views club.

Ángela Aguilar to Perform at This Year’s Billboard Latin Music Awards

Ángela Aguilar is preparing for her Billboard moment…

The 18-year-old Mexican-American singer-songwriter will perform at the 2022 Billboard Latin Music Awards, set to take place on Thursday, September 29.

Ángela AguilarAguilar is part of a roster of recently added performers that includes Alejandra Guzmán, Calibre 50Elvis CrespoFarrukoLos Ángeles AzulesOzuna and Piso 21.

Billboard and Telemundo announced on Tuesday (Sept. 6) the second round of performers who will take the stage at Miami’s Watsco Center.

The new list of acts join an already star-studded lineup that includes Camilo, Carlos Vives, Chayanne, CNCO, Eslabon Armado, Grupo Firme, Maluma, Pablo López, Pepe Aguilar, Raphael and Tini.

Bad Bunny leads the list of finalists for the 2022 Billboard Latin Music Awards, with 23 nods across 13 categories. He is up for artist of the year, tour of the year, Hot Latin Songs artist of the year, male, and top Latin album of the year for his album Un Verano Sin Ti, which has logged nine nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and was nominated for album of the year at the recent MTV Video Music Awards. Bad Bunny won artist of the year — the first time a Latin artist has been in a marquee category at that show.

Following Bad Bunny is Colombian star Karol G with 15 entries in 11 categories — a record number of nods for a female artist. Karol’s categories include artist of the year and Hot Latin Songs artist of the year, female, as well as Hot Latin Song of the year, vocal event, for her Becky G collab “MAMIII.”

The 2022 Billboard Latin Music Awards, the longest-running awards show in Latin music, will begin at 8:00 p.m. ET on September 29, preceded by a one-hour red carpet special.

The awards will broadcast simultaneously on Spanish entertainment cable network Universo, throughout Latin America and the Caribbean on Telemundo Internacional, the Telemundo App and on Peacock.

J Balvin Returns to Longtime Agency William Morris Endeavor

J Balvin is back with a familiar team…

The 37-year-old Colombian singer, known as the Prince of Reggaeton, has returned to his longtime agency William Morris Endeavor (WME).

J BalvinThe move follows a short stint with United Talent Agency (UTA) that started in May. No reason was given for his departure from or return to WME.

Balvin left WME for UTA in May after postponing his 25-date José tour. The move was surprising considering Balvin’s long and storied history with the agency. WME began booking Balvin when he still an emerging artist, and the agency played an integral role in his global touring and branding, securing early placements for him in major festivals. 

UTA never formally announced its deal with Balvin, but the agency has been growing its Latin roster and currently represents several high-profile Latin stars. Bad Bunny, Balvin’s Universal Music labelmate Karol G and Brazilian powerhouse Anitta are all currently on UTA’s roster.

Balvin has grossed more than $20 million and sold over 300,000 tickets, according to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore. All six of the Colombian star’s full-length studio albums — including the collaborative Oasis album with Bad Bunny — have reached the top 10 on Billboard’s Top Latin Albums chart, with four of them hitting No. 1. He’s charted 93 hits on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart, including 35 top 10s and nine No. 1s. In every year from 2014 through 2021, he’s finished as one of the year’s top 10 artists on Billboard’s annual year-end Top Latin Artists chart.

Other WME Latin acts include Nicky JamJuanesOzuna and Shakira.

Balvin continues to be managed by longtime manager Fabio Acosta along with Scooter Braun’s SB Projects.