In Australian Open Debut, João Fonseca Upsets No. 9 Seed Andrey Rublev in First Round

João Fonseca has pulled off a major upset… 

The 18-year-old Brazilian tennis player definitively introduced himself to the world as the latest teen sensation in men’s tennis on Tuesday night, upsetting No. 9 seed Andrey Rublev 7-6 (1), 6-3, 7-6 (5) in the first round of the Australian Open.

João FonsecaIt was quite a debut in the main draw of a Grand Slam tournament for Fonseca, who is ranked 112th and made it into the bracket at Melbourne Park by winning three matches in qualifying rounds last week.

The victory over 10-time major quarterfinalist Rublev, who is 27, lasted just under 2 1/2 hours and stretched Fonseca’s current unbeaten run to 14 matches. That includes taking the title last month in Saudi Arabia at the Next Gen ATP Finals for top players who are under 21, and another trophy this month at a lower-tier Challenger tournament in Canberra.

Those within tennis have been keeping tabs on 2023 US Open junior boys’ champion Fonseca for a bit, intrigued by his big serve, booming groundstrokes and cool demeanor. All of those qualities, and more, were on display against Rublev in Margaret Court Arena, the second-biggest stage in Melbourne.

Fonseca got to match point with a backhand winner that he celebrated by raising his right index finger in a No. 1 gesture and nodding his head. Then he ended it with a down-the-line forehand, spreading his arms wide and tossing his head back.

“I mean, not bad,” were Fonseca’s first words during his on-court interview afterward.

That drew a smile from him and supportive laughter from the stands, where there were plenty of fans sporting his home country’s flag.

“I just enjoyed every moment in this court, this amazing court,” he continued. “My first time playing in a huuuuge stadium.”

Hitting serves at up to 133 mph, Fonseca delivered 14 aces and had just one double fault while saving five of the six break points he faced.

He accumulated 51 total winners, 18 more than Rublev, a quarterfinalist in Melbourne three of the past four years and Fonseca’s first opponent ranked higher than No. 20.

“I was just focusing [on] my game, trying to put no pressure on myself, playing [against] a top-10 guy,” Fonseca said. “I was just playing my game and, well, now we’re in the second round.”

He’ll next face 55th-ranked Lorenzo Sonego, who got past three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka in four sets earlier Tuesday.

Asked the key to his strong play in the tiebreakers against the far-more-experienced Rublev, Fonseca said he tries to employ “all the intensity in the important points,” “go for the shots” and show “courage.”

He also cited 20-time major champion Roger Federer as an inspiration.

“Like Roger says: ‘Talent is not enough.’ … So I put [in] a lot of hard work,” Fonseca said. “Just me and my team knows that.”

Pedro Cachin Outlasts Albert Ramos-Vinolas to Claim First-Ever ATP Tour Title at Swiss Open

Pedro Cachin is celebrating his first ATP Tour title.

The 28-year-old Argentine professional tennis player came from behind to beat Spanish veteran Albert Ramos-Vinolas 3-6, 6-0, 7-5 to win the Swiss Open, his first tour-level title.

Pedro CachinCachin celebrated his big win with courtside hugs with his girlfriend and kisses with their pet dog.

“Thank you [to] my girlfriend, sister and my dog, of course,” Cachin said in his trophy acceptance speech. “They are coming from Barcelona [Saturday] night, so it was a long drive but it was an unbelievable drive.”

After having his service broken to lose the first set, Cachin reeled off eight straight games during which the 35-year-old Ramos-Vinolas sought treatment for his bandaged left foot.

Cachin let slip a 4-3 lead with a service break up in the deciding set but broke again to lead 6-5 because of wayward forehands from Ramos-Vinolas.

The 90th-ranked Argentine clinched the title at sun-bathed Gstaad in the Swiss Alps with a double-handed backhand for a cross-court winner.

Cachin celebrated by falling to the ground and lying on his back as the first tears flowed. He rose with red dust caked on his white T-shirt.

The victory will lift Cachin toward a career-best ranking of No. 54, which he also reached last year. His career was slowed by neck and ankle injuries, and he entered the top 100 for the first time one year ago.

A clay-court specialist, Cachin has six career titles on the second-tier Challenger tour, and his debut win at ATP level also was secured on his favored surface.

Cachin’s previous match before coming to Gstaad was on the grass of Wimbledon‘s Centre Court, where Novak Djokovic beat him in straight sets in the first round.

Ramos-Vinolas broke Cachin’s serve twice in the first set that the left-hander clinched with a strong service return to his opponent’s feet advancing to the net.

Ramos-Vinolas’ record in tour finals dropped to 4-8. All of the 79th-ranked Spaniard’s titles were won on clay, including at Gstaad in 2019.

Estrella Burgos’ Historic Run at the U.S. Open Comes to an End

Victor Estrella Burgos’ historic appearance at the U.S. Open may have come to an end, but his presence has left a lasting impression

The 34-year-old Dominican tennis player, who after many years competing in the twilight world of the Challenger circuit became the country’s first-ever representative in a major at this year’s U.S. Open, lost to No. 5 seed Milos Raonic on Saturday in a hard-fought third round match that lasted two hours and 43 minutes.

Victor Estrella Burgos

Estrella Burgos, short and fast in the Michael Chang mold and owner of a cutting single-handed backhand slice and solid serve, out-aced the Canadian king of aces 8-7, but could not stop him closing it out in three tie-breaks, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3).

“It was difficult,” Raonic conceded. “He’s playing well. He’s playing with a lot of aspiration. It was a lot of fun, the atmosphere out there. But I believe I can play better. I believe I will.”

Estrella Burgos, who turned pro in 2002, had only earned $485,879 in his career prior to his first appearance at the U.S. Open. He came desperately close to extending the match into a fourth set, when serving for the third, but faltered at the key moment.

Estrella Burgos did not play in professional tournaments until he was 26 as he could not afford to travel. He also had to take an eight-month break from the sport after suffering a serious injury to his right elbow in 2012.

“It wasn’t until three years ago that I started to focus on my fitness,” he said. “I can play against anyone with top-quality tennis, but being in shape is the key to sticking on the tour for several more years.”

But Estrella Burgos was delighted just to be competing at the grand slam event in Flushing, New York, on the biggest stage he’s ever likely to stride in the game.

“It was really amazing,” said Estrella Burgos, who earlier this year became the first Dominican to reach the top 100 in the ATP rankings. “For me, it was the best week: third round of the US Open. I think I won, how much I don’t know, $110,000? But I have to pay the taxes.

“I lost today, but it was my best match [of the tournament]. I played at a very good level. The three sets were very close. I was serving for the set in the third set. I cannot close the set, but I’m not so … I’m not too sad.”

Raonic, not always known for his warmth, embraced Estrella Burgos at the net, relieved to get into the second week and perhaps happy, too, to see the back of an opponent who did not just “turn up” but gave him a serious fright.

Reality will soon kick in for Estrella Burgos when he returns to the outer fringes of his sport, but he has had a taste of the big time and he likes it very much and intends to play the ATP World Tour in Europe, adding: “For sure I’m going to play the Australian Open. I want to try to mix it. I want to play more ATP than Challenger.”

Away from the tennis, Estrella Burgos has spent most of his time at his New York hotel with his family and having “a really good time” with “a lot of friends”.

He has not neglected his tennis, though, and prepared hard for longer matches. “I have so much confidence,” he said. “When I go on to the court, I don’t care if I play five sets, I am feeling OK. Today I was two sets down and in the third set thinking, OK, I want to make this game five sets.”